1. The Anambra State Government has noted with dismay the fire which today engulfed the state headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) headquarters, Awka, just four days to the 2019 general election.
2. Though Governor Willie Obiano has yet to be briefed by the new Commissioner of Police in the state on the extent of the fire and possible causes, he has directed that security inside and around the INEC state headquarters as well as in and around INEC offices in the 21 local government areas in the state be fortified immediately.
3. Gov Obiano has also directed a massive deployment of fire fighting facilities like trucks at the INEC headquarters immediately, complete with the appropriate number and caliber of personnel.
4. The Anambra State Government is committed to ensuring that all the elections are held in the state not only as scheduled but also in a free, credible and transparent manner.
5. The Government notes with satisfaction the prompt and professional manner in which the Anambra State Fire Service mobilized to the scene once the fire at the INEC headquarters was reported to it. Its swift response contained the fire.
C. Don Adinuba
Commissioner for Information & Public Enlightenment.