The sacking of the former Director-General of the Department of State Services (DSS), Lawal Daura by Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo and the subsequent appointment of Matthew Seiyefa as the Acting Director-General, is still a subject of discussion by many Nigerians.
For one, Daura was, before now, seen as an untouchable as he was one of the closest persons to President Muhammadu Buhari as well as being his cousin and coming from the same Katsina State. Daura who was fired by Osinbajo and arrested by police shortly after following an invasion of the National Assembly by his men, is now history but what many did not envisage was the appointment of the Bayelsa State-born Seiyafe who will be in charge of the DSS in an acting capacity pending when and if his appointment will be ratified.
But who is really Seiyefa, the new boss of the DSS, albeit in an acting capacity, you may want to know?
Here is a brief profile of the Matthew Seiyefa:
1. Seiyefa hails from Bayelsa State.
2. Before his appointment, he was the most senior director in the DSS, being an Assistant DG.
3. He was also the Director, Institute of Security Studies, Abuja.
4. Seiyefa has about 34 years of experience having served in different capacities, including the State Director in Osun, Akwa Ibom, and Lagos.
5. Seiyefa is also a member of the National Institute.
6. He has also served as DSS Director of Operations.
Seiyefa’s appointment was confirmed by the Presidency on Tuesday, August 7, 2018, with the following tweets:
Acting President @ProfOsinbajo has directed the termination, with immediate effect, of the appointment of the Director General of the Department of State Services (DSS), Mr. Lawal Musa Daura.— Presidency Nigeria (@NGRPresident) August 7, 2018